Notes: Fourteen 5-by-7-inch sepia-tone photographs documenting logging operations in a long-gone company town in the redwood forest north of Eureka, on the California coast. Two of the images show logging camps (Camps 7 and 8); one shows a logging railroad; the rest depict scenes in the forest during the handsaw era.
These images are most often seen as postcards notifying buyers that their orders from Little River Redwood Company had been placed on railcars. These larger-format images are quite uncommon. The Little River Redwood Company began operation at Crannell about 1908 and continued until the 1950s. The town was razed in 1969. Logging operations in Crannell shut Two of the views show logging camps (Camps 7 and 8); a third shows a logging railroad.
The images do not have a photographer's name; attribution to Dold and Dold based on cataloguing of images from this set hed at Humboldt State University, relying on information from the Trinidad Museum. A photographer named Louis R. Dold is listed in the 1934 Eureka City Directory. Crannell, according to Wikipedia, got its name in 1922. The Little River Redwood Co. merged with Hammond in 1931, suggesting these images date from that period.
Edition + Condition: Fine, or nearly so. The exposure a bit light, with minor silvering to the prints.
Publication: Crannell, CA: Little River Redwood Company, [ca. 1930].
Item No: #1950