Notes: A large photograph of the opening ceremony of the Nichiren-shu Buddhist temple in 1932, in Portland.
According to the website of the temple, "In November of 1924, Rev. Ryushin Okihara, resident minister of the Nichiren Buddhist Church in Seattle, conducted the first organized Nichiren Shu service in Portland, Oregon. The service was held at the office of Dr. Tanaka with 40 people in attendance. Rev. Okihara discussed organizing a church for Portland. On May 18, 1930 Rev. Okihara performed the dedication ceremony of the Nichiren Shu Kuon Ko. A committee was formed and on June 2, 1932, the ground breaking ceremony was conducted on a lot that was located near the existing Memorial Coliseum. The building was completed in August of 1932."
This gelatin silver print shows a large group of children in ceremonial outfits standing in front of a line of dignitaries, several banners and lanterns, and two priests. Both the Japanese and American flags are flying on the building face. Views of Portland's Japanese American community prior to World War Two are not common.
9-1/2 by 7-1/4 inches in a larger decorative mount.
Edition + Condition: The image has medium contrast. The mount is near fine, with light wear to the edges. "August 1932" is written in ball-point pen in the lower right corner of the image.
Publication: Portland, OR: (n.p.), 1932.
Item No: #308175